6.11.2013

Luis Suarez: "Every player wants to play for big teams and Real Madrid is a big team"

Luis Suarez has once again made it clear that he wants to leave the Premier League in the summer and continues to endear himself to Real Madrid. In an interview with the Uruguay media, the striker assured: "Every player wants to play for a big team and Real Madrid is a big team." Suarez stressed that Real Madrid was his ‘dream’ destination but insisted he had not received any offer from Real Madird.

Luis Suarez playing for Uruguay national team
Luis Suarez

The Liverpool striker said: “I don’t know if I will become a Real Madrid player, the only thing I know is that I have a contract. Every player would like to play for a huge team, and Real Madrid is a huge team. Every player wants to reach the top and Real Madrid is one of the top clubs, but everything that has been said so far is just speculation, I haven’t received any concrete offers.”

The forward spoke at length about his troubles in England, particularly the treatment he has received from the media: "As soon as I arrived in England I didn’t like the press, they have never judged me on how I play football, they judged me on my attitude,” he said. “They said I dived, moaned, postured, they said I was racist, everything. They have never spoken well of me. That’s why, when people said that I could have been chosen as the best player in the Premier League I said: “I’m relaxed, I know that in England I’m never going to be given an important prize.”

Nor were his complaints limited to the media. He recalled: "About a week ago I was walking in a shopping centre near Manchester and three or four guys asked me for a photo. While we were posing for it my wife said to me “Luis, get out of the photo”. She noticed they were making biting gestures. I was with my wife and my daughter. Things like that get on your nerves. My wife was on the brink of tears and the blokes ran off laughing. You get tired of stuff like that.”

Another bone of contention was the severity of his eight-match ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra, in comparison with John Terry, who was given just a four match ban for a similar incident involving Anton Ferdinand. “Without any proof they gave me an eight match ban, but with Terry, where they had proof and lip-readers, they gave him four,” he complained. He added: “I’m South American and I think that’s the root of all of this.”

However, he spoke fondly of the Liverpool fans and was grateful for the support they have shown him in his time at Anfield, but said ultimately his loyalty to them might not be enough to keep him in Merseyside. “When I was a kid I dreamed of playing for Liverpool. I have been able to play with great players who know me well and I would love to spend many more years at Liverpool. Their stadium is spectacular, their fans are phenomenal. Their fans have tattoos of me, things you can never imagine.

“After the suspension the fans all supported me. That’s something I remember and it has made me think ‘Luis, forget it all and stay’. But I cannot forget it, because I have suffered, my family have suffered, and away from football I have a family that supports me, and these things hurt them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...