8.14.2012

Mourinho: "They should call me 'The Only One' "

Jose Mourinho, the Real Madrid coach and manager, said that the nickname by he was known in English football, the 'Special One', should be changed to the 'Only One', after having achieved the English, Italian and Spanish leagues.

Jose Mourinho. The Only One training with Real Madrid
Jose Mourinho, The Only One?

"In England I was known as the 'Special One'. Things have continued to go well for me, thank God, and, whether you like it or not, I am the only coach who has won the English, Italian and Spanish leagues. As such, instead of the 'Special One' they should start to call me the Only One", he said in an interview with the Portuguese TV channel SIC.

Mourinho assures that, with time, after having won practically everything with the clubs that he has managed, he is "becoming less egotistical and egocentric". He remembers his time with Inter Milan with particular fondness: "Making a team like Inter Milan win again, after 50 years, gives me particular pleasure. Those are the challenges I like".

Aged 49 and soon to start his third season with Real Madrid, the Portuguese admits that he likes to win for the pleasure it gives to those around him: "I have always preferred the happiness of others, of those who surround me. That's why winning with Inter was particularly pleasing. These are challenges, not personal goals".

About his beginnings as football coach he said: "I knew I had qualities, but I admit that at first I was very far from imagining where I am, but my career has been progressive. I have not gone from eight to eighty, it was not something radical. Winning the Champions League in Portugal prepared me to go abroad. I went out prepared and in good standing. The richness of my training as a man and as a coach is the result of going from country to country. That has made me a much richer coach".

Mourinho has not tired of winning titles and accumulating personal accolades although he no longer values ​​them as before: "I'm about to turn 50 years old and I feel like I'm early in my coaching career. Being a football coach is difficult. It also means being a good human resource manager. In 2010 I was elected the best coach in the world, in 2011 the second best, now I do not mind the position where I am". "I still hope to continue many years at the highest level, but I also want to enjoy many more things in my life" he finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...